Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mister Independent

I have to admit, with all the new be-a-more-physically-attached parent "studies" (yes, I quotation studies....because seriously folks, how long do they actually study some of these methods?), I find myself reviewing my parenting skills and parenting want-to-dos. *Warning: Carissa tangent!* I think that is the point....or at least it should be. The "best" way to parent is different for every person and every kid. To each his own; I truly believe that. The study fetish and all the new publications on the one-and-only-way-to-parent is a little eye-rolling worthy to me. Just as I felt forever ago with the Tiger Mom ideas, these folks that believe and publish all their so-called one-and-only-ways-to-raise-outstanding-kids should do one thing for everyone who reads them --- take what they say and form.your.own.opinion! (Yes, I think the Tiger Mom is on the verge of nuts, BUT, I do like some of her theories on how to encourage the best out of your kids). There are a million ideas out there....and yes, some  great ones, but just because a whose-who from Outstanding Parenting Land claims that their way works and is the only way that works, does not mean it will work for me and my kids.  Maybe that's just me. Who knows. To each his own! Anyhow, back to the point -- with all the new light on the "best" parenting techniques, I have decided I love (even more than I already did) the fact that my 2 1/2 year old is his own variety of independent.

So, my fabulous kid:

He is currently all about, "No, Moddy, I do it."  Yes, he calls me, Moddy.  No, I don't correct him; I find it quite endearing. It melts my heart.  He says "Mom" just fine, but for whatever reason, the 'm' gets lost when he adds a 'y' to the end. Oh cute boy. You are funny. He now no longer has interest in Moddy making his sandwiches. Or his chocolate milk. Or his Crystal Light. Or cutting his meat. So when he wants a good ol' PB&H, he gets his step-stool; then he gets out the bread, the peanut butter, the honey, his plate and his knife. He does it all a to z.  I love it. I love that A) he, on his own, decided he wanted to make his own sandwich; B) that he knew everything he needed in order to do so; and C) that he enjoys eating his sandwich - sloppy peanut butter, spotted honey, off-centered folded bread and all.  He is willing to try and I love that.  I want him to try; I want him to fail; I want him to succeed; I want him to be able to do things on his own; I want him to gain confidence in himself and his growing skills. And I am proud mom of this sandwich-making boy! You go, kiddo!





 Delish!



2 comments:

  1. SO SO SO cute! Love you cute kids and cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I totally agree about the find what works for you method. Every kid is different! I so wish 1 that noah would make his own sandwich and 2 that he would eat it! What fun little boys are!

    ReplyDelete